July 22, 2009

I Love Florence

Today I will admit to you that I am in LOVE LOVE LOVE with Florence Broadhurst designs! I have no favorite, I love each and everyone of them. So much so I could pick each of them up + hug them. Sighhhhhh

Florence herself lead a flamboyant, well travelled and somewhat scandalous life which ended abruptly with her murder in October 1977 at her studio in Paddington, Sydney. To this day her murder to remains unsolved.

Since gaining the rights to her designs, Signature Prints applied today’s modern colours to the designs. This provided the designs with a breath of fresh air that lent towards relevance in today’s design + interior worlds. The designs, although always sold overseas, received a new international recognition across the design world, one in which they truly deserve. Today the designs can be seen draping fabrics, wallpapers, rugs, fashion garments + accessories. I, myself own two of her Japanese Floral clutches, which are truly divine.

One can safely say that her designs reflected her life, her travels + her experiences. Florence called her revolutionary hand printed creations “Vigorous designs for modern living”. I agree, however I think Florence left out the word ‘timeless’.




Egrets color black & charcoal on cream




No comments:

Post a Comment